Daddy Is Getting Married

Chapter 1
About a week ago, @ was crying rather dramatically at bedtime. When I asked what was wrong, he said he was worried about me. I certainly didn't expect him to say that. I thought maybe it was because he knew I'd been sick. It wasn't.

"Mommy, you're not married. You're all by yourself. You need someone to marry you."

Wha huh? Bam, that was certainly out of the clear blue sky. Or maybe it was cloudy that day. I don't recall. Obviously the weather
wasn't the memorable part of that square on the calendar.

It was sweet and sad all at the same time. He was very serious.

But, little problem solver that he is, @ had a plan: "Mommy, tomorrow we're going to call all of your friends who are boys and ask them to marry you."

Awwww, shucks, um no...

I explained that really, I'm just fine and not everyone needs to be married to be happy and he shouldn't worry and an alphabetic perusal of the cell phone probably isn't the best method of finding a spouse anyway and... he... calmed... down...

Convinced that it wasn't necessary to allot the next afternoon to making phone calls we decided that maybe we could walk the dog, work in the garden, or watch Mythbusters instead.

(Of course, in retrospect, it might have been pretty amusing to have the phone on speaker while he made those calls. Just because who in the hell is going to expect that? So very Sleepless in Seattle with a AT&T Wireless 2010 twist.)

Chapter 2
"Mommy, Daddy's getting married. Isn't that great?"

Ah ok, so now last week's worryfest has some context. X is getting married. Cool.

Granted, it's not great hearing the news from your six-year-old son, but hey, news travels as it does.

Honestly, I think it's great news. After all, the guy was my best friend for a long time. And up until a few weeks ago, we had a great coparenting relationship with a few bumps and ruts along the way. At the moment, well, it ain't so pretty, but it is what it is.

(Yeah, I could take advantage of the situation and my stash of sarcasm and go tra la la-ing down the snark trail, but the truth of the matter is a simple two part deal: 1) It's no joking matter right now. 2) I'm honestly happy for the guy.)

I ended our marriage because I thought two happy houses would be better than one unhappy one. Our house wasn't happy anymore. X definitely didn't agree at the time. There's a laundry list of reasons that happened and there's no need for outline it here.

I wanted to be happy again. And I wanted X to be happy again. And I am happy in my life now. As is X, which is as it should be.

And @ gets the benefits of that. Which is definitely as it should be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cancer Is a Narcissist

The Consumerization of Popcorn... and IT

Raising a Son in a World of Brock Turners